(click any image to see the bigger version) Continue reading
Finally getting some more paint on my bigger bugs! Shown are 3 Tervigon/Tyrannofexes, a Hive Tyrant, a Flying Hive Tyrant, 3 Biovores and 2 Zoanthropes I made some progress on last night.
These were primed zenithally, highlighted with white primer, then the fleshy areas were airbrushed with Minitaire Ancient Bone. Last night while watching 3 episodes of Elementary I mixed some Ghost Tint (5 parts Oil Discharge to 4 parts Green) and brushed it on the hard carapace/blade/claw areas.
have to finish off the Tervigons and then I’ll start touching up the spikes on the Tervigons with yellow Ghost Tint or maybe just green (or maybe green for the smaller spikes and yellow for the larger?), then magenta Ghost Tint on the tongues, vents and joints to match the first batch of Termagants I did. That should tidy them up nicely and once they’re mounted on the space ship bases I’m working on (the biggest bases will be custom-made for every model, I think, but I’m not sure yet) I’ll see what I should do about highlighting the carapace and blade bits – I don’t generally go for the cartoony extreme edge-highlighted GW look but it looks pretty good on Tyranids, I think.
In addition to these, I have a Mawloc, a couple of Carnifexes, another Hive Tyrant and 12 Warriors to do.
Sci-fi bases for models include all sorts of things, and being a huge fan of the Aliens movies (yes, I even liked Alien 3 but not Alien 4!) I decided for my growing Tyranide Hive Fleet Eviscera horde I would custom-make space ship deck bases for all of my bug models. I’d scratchbuild a bunch of bases then cast them in resin so I could make as many as I want.
Here’s the first batch of 25mm bases, using a lot of diamond-plate styrene I had to order from the US. The clear-ish mesh bits are from the weaving area of a local craft store, the green ‘pipes’ are leftover sprue from a model tank. The white plastic is sheet styrene. I made ten of these so of the 100 or so small Termagants I have you’ll see a nice variety spread out through the army. Continue reading
Here it is! This is my new painting area, ready for building, converting and painting. Pretty cool! I’ve finally got racks for my paints, a work light stolen from my computer desk and space for all my plastic drawers.
Click through for more pictures of how it (finally!) got to this stage 😛
I wanted to try painting on the felt that I use for 40K and X-Wing Miniatures, so I gave that a go the other night. I’ve always been entranced with nebula pictures from the Hubble telescope (gas clouds) and wanted to paint something similar on the reverse side of the black glitter felt. Unfortunately I made the rookie mistake of not having a picture on hand, and so far I have this: