Sci-fi bases for models include all sorts of things, and being a huge fan of the Aliens movies (yes, I even liked Alien 3 but not Alien 4!) I decided for my growing Tyranide Hive Fleet Eviscera horde I would custom-make space ship deck bases for all of my bug models. I’d scratchbuild a bunch of bases then cast them in resin so I could make as many as I want.
Here’s the first batch of 25mm bases, using a lot of diamond-plate styrene I had to order from the US. The clear-ish mesh bits are from the weaving area of a local craft store, the green ‘pipes’ are leftover sprue from a model tank. The white plastic is sheet styrene. I made ten of these so of the 100 or so small Termagants I have you’ll see a nice variety spread out through the army. Continue reading
Yikes! Has it really been that long since I’ve posted?
Sorry about that, I’ve been really busy! I’ve been doing scale models recently, I was on a holiday, plus sick this week, but I’m getting back into the swing of things!
Inspired by the Hammerfest/Goonpocalypse last weekend at Warhammer World in Nottingham, England, I’ve decided to try making my own version of the Khorne Lord of Skulls:
No, it’s not like I don’t have plenty of other projects to do! In preparing for the Apocalypse game I built up several models I’ve had laying about for a long time, plus rediscovered models that I’ve been wanting to paint! what am I doing…
I’ve been experimenting with casting stuff, so I’m hoping to make much of this as repeatable as I can, meaning I’ll make a master and cast it using one- or two-piece silicone molds. So the insect legs, the weapon, the head and hopefully the body as well, although that’s a big chunk of something! Even if I just use the molds to make a couple extra pieces for myself they’ll be quite handy.
And yes I’m planning to use this at some point as a counts-as (or proxy) Khorne Lord of Skulls from Warhammer 40K Apocalypse/Escalation, and hopefully look cooler (at least in my head) than the Khorne version…because it’ll be the Nurgle version!
After months of it being just a pink and white monster, I finished the the ‘Big Red Building’ and a few other pieces last year for the game table:
Here’s the video from Les Burley I came across showing how to make the washes I use
And here’s the instructions in print (also available on Les’s website, AwesomePaintJob.com):
Liquitex Flow Aid
FW Acrylic Inks: sepia, black
First mix 450ml of distilled water with 50ml of Flow Aid (10:1 ratio) Continue reading